Library materials not owned by the Elkhart Public Library may be available to EPL cardholders through Interlibrary Loan (ILL). ILL is a means of resource sharing between cooperating libraries. It usually takes approximately two (2) weeks to receive materials, but may take much longer if the materials must be obtained outside the state of Indiana.
To qualify for ILL service:
Cardholders must have a valid, resident (EPL) card or a Non-resident (paid) card. (Reciprocal borrowers, PLAC card holders and all others must go to their home libraries for ILL service.) Cardholders must be in good standing. (That is, they must be currently registered EPL cardholders with less than $10.00 in fines and/or fees, and no outstanding overdue materials charged against their records.)
To place a request:
- (By phone) Call Reference Services at 522-5669.
- (In person) Stop at the Main Library Reference Desk or the Circulation Desk of any branch to fill out an ILL request form.
- Cardholder’s name and telephone number(s) or email address are required on the form.
- As much of the following information as possible is also necessary:
- Books — author and title;
- Articles — periodical title, volume number, date, page numbers, author and title of article and a dollar amount cardholder is willing to pay.
- A maximum of three (3) requests may be processed at one time.
Items usually available to request:
- Most books
- Specific articles from periodicals
- Other types of materials including:
- census microfilm reels (for a fee)
- some audiovisual (AV) materials
Items usually not available to request:
- Books released in the last six (6) months
- Titles which EPL owns or has on order
- Whole issues of periodicals
- Some AV materials such as entertainment videos
- Reference materials
- Genealogy materials
Overdue, Lost or Damaged items:
Patrons are responsible for returning ILL material on time. Cardholders will be charged regular EPL fines for overdue items and any fines imposed by the lending library. Cardholders will be charged for damaged or lost items as assessed by the lending library.
EPL attempts to obtain as many items as possible on free loan. You may be asked, however, to indicate the maximum amount you are willing to pay to receive some materials. No charge is made to patrons for ILL service except pre-approved costs charged by lending libraries, overdue fines, or charges for lost or damaged items.
While renewals are not standard procedure on ILL material, if a renewal is needed, it must be requested at least three (3) days before its due date at EPL. Renewals are granted at the discretion of the lending library.
Additional information or questions:
Contact the Reference Department (574) 522-5669