One hot night in the city – 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday, June 30
If you haven’t heard, Harry Potter at 21 will celebrate the story coming of age Saturday night in downtown Elkhart.
And, if you haven’t heard, you’re not going to need any kind of water-heating spell.
The party will take place on High Street in front of Elkhart Public Library between 5 and 9 p.m. It also extends into our own version of Diagon Alley – literally in the alley off High down to Mini Delights Bake Shoppe.
To make the journey from Platform 9¾ a bit easier, here’s a handy survival guide for the event.
- Get here – Street parking is available on Main and Second streets, at Civic Plaza, or in the public lots near the Elkhart County Courts Building on Second Street. You can enter the event at Main and High, Second and High, or through the Art Alley at Mini Delights. Please note – Lexington Avenue is closed, and if you’re coming downtown from the east, Jackson Boulevard is closed between Elkhart Avenue and Waterfall Drive.
- Cool down – Come prepared! Aside from our event tent on High Street, very little shade is available. Consider bringing a frozen water bottle to keep cool until it melts, when you can then drink it down. Yep, that’s magic.
- Go indoors – We’ll have two doors open inside the street festival area. You can chill inside at Mini Delights, where Lisa has a photo station that’s just as sweet as the treats. And Potawatomi Zoo will have owls, salamanders and more inside the library – look for their sign next to Iechyd Da’s Dragon Wagon.
- Stay hydrated – You can chill inside at Mini Delights, have a Kona Ice on the street, and get water and soft drinks from Hotdogeddy and our other food vendors.
- Enjoy an adult beverage – For the 21-plus crowd, get a wristband as you enter the gates to buy beer at Iechyd Da’s Dragon Wagon. The entire area inside the fences is OK to walk around in with a drink – you just can’t take it outside the gates.
- Get stuff – Centier Bank … er, Gringotts … will have wands. Froggy 102.7 radio will have concert tickets and games. Barnes and Noble … er, Flourish and Blotts … will have merch. If you don’t get to Stephenson’s for a shirt (which are discounted in the store before the event), visit the library tent. If you need an ATM, a Chase is about a block away on Franklin, a Wells Fargo ATM is near Main and High, and KeyBank, 1st Source and INOVA Federal Credit Union are 3-4 blocks away.
- Horcrux hunters unite – Pick your house at the library booth, fill up your hunt card, and return it to the house jars for a chance to win a pretty awesome prize.
- Show your smarts – Trivia will be done in two games, 5:30 and 6 p.m., inside the tent. Teams of three, prizes for the top teams.
- Dress for success – Cosplay/costume contest will happen at 6:30 p.m. in the tent, with prizes awaiting.
- Rock out – Neville’s Diary, a true wizard rock band, will perform about 7 p.m.
With the lack of shade and cool surfaces to walk on, please keep the pets safe at home. There will be no spells to fix burnt paws.
Have fun with the wiz biz, Elkhart. HP only turns 21 once!
(Harry Potter at 21 is presented by the Friends of Elkhart Public Library. Stop by the library tent and find out more about the Friends and their work!)