By Katrina Maust
Summer means food: picnics, grilling, fruit picking, canning, ice cream, and so much delicious more. I call summer my “food experiment season” so here is a roundup of titles to get your juices going.
What about you? Do you have food experiment ideas to add? A cookbook title to suggest? We love suggestions – comment below!
With abundance of summer fruit, we kick off with experiments involving berries – think jams, jellies, cobblers, desserts, cocktails, etc!
- Berries : over 75 farm fresh recipes (641.647 C533)
- Cooking with wild berries & fruits of Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio by Teresa Marrone (641.647 M361)
- Fruitful : four seasons of fresh fruit recipes by Brian Nicholson (641.64 N624)
- Drink the harvest by Nan Chase (available on Hoopla)
- Bitters And Shrub Syrup Cocktails by Warren Bobrow (available on Hoopla)
When the heat of the summer gets going, no one will turn down a popsicle … or homemade ice cream … or, let’s be honest, a boozy slushee.
- The Ice Cream Bible by Marilyn Linton (641.862 L761)
- Ice Cream Sandwiches by Donna Egan (641.862 E28)
- Icy, creamy, healthy, sweet : 75 recipes for dairy-free ice cream, fruit-forward ice pops, frozen yogurt, granitas, slushies, shakes, and more by Christine Chitnis (641.862 C543)
- Slushed! More than 150 frozen, boozy treats for the coolest happy hour ever by Jessie Cross (641.862 C951)
- Paletas : authentic recipes for Mexican ice pops, shaved ice, and aguas frescas by Fany Gerson (641.86 G382)
Summer is made for grilling. It is too hot to cook indoors, so step outside, find a breeze, and turn up the grill.
- The gardener & the grill : the bounty of the garden meets the sizzle of the grill by Karen Adler & Judith Fertig (641.76 A237g)
- Pitmaster : recipes, techniques, & barbecue wisdom by Andy Husbands (641.76 H968p)
- Buxton Hall BBQ book of smoke : wood-smoked meat, sides, and more by Elliott Moss (641.76 M913)
- Meathead : the science of great barbecue and grilling by Meathead Goldwyn (641.76 G624)
- The Grilling Book: the definitive guide from Bon Appetit (641.5784 G858b) and BONUS – the June issue of Bon Appetit is alllll about Grilling, check it out on RBdigital
The bounty isn’t limited to berries, summer is also high season for so many delicious, and beautiful, vegetables. There are so many options: preserving them so they last, finding new ways to enjoy them (beet spirals!), or, my personal favorite, pickling.
- Lucky Peach presents power vegetables! by Peter Meehan (641.65 M494)
- Saving the Season: a cook’s guide to home canning, pickling, and preserving by Kevin West (641.42 W518)
- The Vegetable Butcher: how to select, prep, slice, dice, and masterfully cook vegetables from artichokes to zucchini by Car Mangini (641.65 M277)
- Inspiralize everything : an apples-to-zucchini encyclopedia of spiralizing by Ali Maffucci (641.65 M187i)
- The Pickled Pantry by Andrea Chesman (641.462 C524)
Now, if you just don’t know where to start, don’t despair! Here are some more general summer books to get you started:
- Summer Food: new summer classics by Paul Lowe (641.564 L913)
- Summer Cocktails by Maria del Mar Sucasa (641.874 S119)
- Endless Summer by Katie Lee (available on Hoopla)
- Beach House Baking by Lei Shishak (641.86 S558)
- Forever Summer by Nigella Lawson (641.5 L425fo)
ALSO, have some long trips? Remember, we have online magazines through the recently updated RBdigital platform. Look here for the food ones.