Preparing your income taxes may never be fun, but we hope the resources available at the Elkhart Public Library will help to make it a bit less stressful.
EPL Online Tax Information links
Local IRS offices and contact information
Indiana forms and publications
Indiana district offices contact information
VITA Tax Prep/Filing Appointments
Forms & Publications
The Elkhart Public Library will continue to make paper tax forms and booklets available – to the extent that the IRS and the Indiana Dept. of Revenue make them available to us. As both organizations continue to promote online filing, they send fewer forms and booklets every year.
If we do not have the paper forms you need, they may be accessed on the Library catalog and Online Resource computers at all of our locations, and printed for 15¢ a page. If you need assistance, please check at the nearest service desk.
We have many “paper-and-ink” resources, too! Check our Reference and Nonfiction collections for books covering a wide variety of tax-related topics. J.K. LASSER’S YOUR INCOME TAXES is available at all EPL Locations. It is a comprehensive and comprehensible guide to tax preparation.
Volunteers from United Way’s VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program will have scheduled hours at the Main Library to assist in free tax preparation and e-filing.
Appointments are booked through United Way. Call 211 or 877-502-0700 to schedule an appointment or go to the VITA website (booknow.appointment-plus.com/3vs2te0e). The site is also under Featured Links at myepl.org, accessible from any Online Resource or Library catalog computer at any EPL location — no library card needed.
- Mondays • 12:00-5:30 pm • January 25 – April 11
- Wednesdays • 2:00-7:00 pm • January 27 – April 13
From the VITA sign-up page:
Please be respectful. One appointment per individual, couple or family please. If married filing separately, you may make an appointment for each spouse.
- To see a list of tax sites or description of services, please use the links on the menu bar above.
- To qualify for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA):
- Your household income must be $60,000 or LESS and you must be a full year resident of Indiana.
- Your return CANNOT include any rental income, farm income, adoption credits or small business income.
- If you have any of the following items, please contact United Way at (574) 232-2350 for clarification before your appointment so we can better serve you:
- Military income
- Foreign income
- Self-employment income requiring a Schedule C under $10,000** (limited expenses only and no losses)
- Complicated or Advanced Schedule D (Capital Gains and Losses)
Other restrictions may apply. Please call 2-1-1 or (574) 232-2350 for additional information.
This year’s filing deadline is Monday, April 18
This is not a typo. The regular tax return filing deadline is April 15. However, due to the Washington D.C. Emancipation Day holiday being observed on April 15 instead of April 16, 2016, Tax Day is on the following Monday.