You may not be visiting a pirate ship anytime soon, but if you do, Mango Languages can help you learn the lingo.* Mango is an online language learning system that teaches practical conversation skills for more than 60 languages. All you need is a high-speed Internet connection and your Elkhart Public Library card. Headphones and a microphone will enhance the experience. Best of all, it’s FREE with your library card!
* Arr, me hearties! Hit t’ bottom o’ this post fer info on our Mango Talk Like a Pirate Day demo.
To access Mango Languages from the Elkhart Public Library website:
- Go to myepl.org/info247.
- Scroll down and select Language.
- Click on +Mango Languages.
- Create a Mango profile. (You will be asked to sign in each time you use Mango, so you can track your progress.)
- Click on the “Create one now” link
- Enter your name, email address, a password (at least 6 characters), and your Elkhart Public Library card number.
- Click “Sign up”
- OR Click the Quick Start button to use Mango without creating a profile.
- Select a language course.
Just need to translate a word or two? Click the blue button on the header :
This tool uses Google Translate to help you get the gist of conversations.
But don’t forget, humans still reign supreme when it comes to accurate translations.
Take your language learning everywhere you go with the Mango free app for your iPhone/iPod or Android. To use the app, you must first have a Mango account set up through the Library. Download the app, log in, download a course, and start learning at your own pace, with or without an Internet connection!
Arr! Ye won’t want t’ miss this, matey!
Experience Mango Languages at our Talk Like a Pirate Day Celebration Friday, September 19 • 11:00 am in the Main Library Computer Training Center.
As a lead-in to Talk Like a Pirate Day, Golden Beats will be at the Main Library on Thursday, September 18. [Learn more]