Want to learn a language, but lack the motivation?
If this sounds like you, you’re not alone – and you’re in luck.
Say hello to Elkhart Public Library’s newest language-learning resource:
Mango Premiere™. Mango Premiere™ is the first and only language-learning program
to combine education and entertainment to teach language through foreign films.
To access Language Learning through film:
- Go to myepl.org/info247.
- Find “Language” on the list.
- Click on the plus sign and choose Mango Languages.
- Create a profile. You will be asked to sign in each time you use Mango so you can track your progress;
- OR Click the “Start Learning” button to use Mango without creating a profile.
- Select the “Courses” tab.
- Choose “Language Learning through film” on the left side.
There are currently only a few films available, including one Chinese, one Japanese, and two English for Spanish speakers. More will be added in the coming months.
Calling all Hunger Games fans! Are you as excited as we are for the release of the second Hunger Games movie?
Catching Fire, the second movie in the Hunger Games trilogy, will be released in theaters on Friday, November 22!
We’re celebrating with a Hunger Games Party at the Main Library. All teens ages 12-18 are welcome to attend.
Test your knowledge of the series with an intense trivia game. Design a tribute costume to be as breathtaking as the girl on fire. Compete in the Cornucopia Challenge to discover if you will survive in the arena!
The party is on Tuesday, November 19 from 4-5 pm. Please register in advance.
Add Chilton Online Library to Your Toolbox
“You learn by doing, are unafraid of challenges, and feel proud when completing a job well done. Chilton has been helping people like you maintain cars and trucks for more than 80 years. We know how to help you succeed.”
Work on your car anytime, day or night. Visit our Online Resources for complete maintenance and repair information from Chilton, the most trusted name in auto repair. Resident Elkhart Public Library (EPL) card holders can access the Chilton Library from any device with an Internet connection.
To access the Chilton Library:
• Go to www.myepl.org/info247
• Click on the + next to Car Repair, then click Access from Home (next to “Chilton Library Car Repair”)
• Enter your EPL card number and click “Proceed”
• Use the Vehicle Selector to choose year, make and model
• Select a category–repair, maintenance, or bulletins/recalls– to view available information
Then grab a wrench, pop the hood and start your repairs!
Teen Read Week is almost here! The week of October 13-18, come Seek the Unknown @ your library. The Main Library will be hosting two special events to celebrate.
On Tuesday, October 15 at 4:00, come to the Aliens @ the Library program about the British sci-fi show Doctor Who! Make your own sonic screwdriver and play Weeping Angel tag. Great for Doctor Who fans and newbies alike.
Then on Friday, October 18 at 4:00, help us solve the murder at the library at the Murder Mystery Party. You are all suspects, so hunt for the clues to solve the mystery and prove it wasn’t you. Please register for this program in advance.
But that’s not all! Teen Read Week is of course, all about books! From now through October 19, vote for your favorite book to win the Teen’s Top Ten Award!
Homework Assistance at all EPL Locations
Homework Assistance is available to all students from Kindergarten through 12th grade. National Honor Society students from Elkhart Central and Memorial High Schools will be on hand to help with just about any subject. Help is available on a first come, first served basis.
Homework Assistance is offered from September through early May.
Times and Locations:
- Main Library – Mondays from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Pierre Moran Branch Library – Tuesdays from 4 to 7 p.m.
- Osolo Branch Library – Thursdays from 4 to 7 p.m.
- Dunlap Branch – Tuesdays from 4 to 7 p.m.
- Cleveland Branch Library – Thursdays from 4 to 7 p.m.
For more information contact us by email or phone at (574) 522-2223.
Everyone who signs up for a new library card
in September will be entered into a drawing for prizes.
If you already have a card, pat yourself on the back.
If not, now is the perfect time to sign up!
For information on how to sign up for an
Elkhart Public Library card, click here or call 574-522-2665
A slide show from the American Library Association:
60 Ways to Use Your Library Card
Borrowing eBooks from downloads.myepl.org was simplified last spring. (Read about it here.) Now reading eBooks from our digital library is easier than ever, too! The OverDrive Media Console (OMC) app for reading digital titles on your mobile device has been completely redesigned with ease of use as top priority. The new version will be available on August 20 for Android and iOS (Apple) devices. Check out a preview of the new app:
Some highlighted features include:
- A redesigned user interface with an all-new look, streamlined navigation, and a one-stop reorganized menu.
- Sync bookmarks and reading progress across multiple devices using a free, opt-in registration service called OverDrive One.
- Variable speed playback for iOS, audiobook users’ most requested feature.
System Requirements: OMC v3.0 for Android users requires Android OS v4.0 (or newer). OMC for Android v2.6.5 will remain available for download. OMC for iOS requires iOS 6 (or newer).
If you already have OverDrive Media Console installed on your device, you will be prompted to update, or it will happen automatically, depending on your device settings. To install OverDrive Media Console, or for more information, visit http://omc.overdrive.com. Happy reading!
Everyone who participated in the Summer Reading Program is a winner. Well done!
Congratulations to Lily and Sam, prize winners in our “End-of-Summer-Reading” drawings!
Thanks to the Friends of the Elkhart Public Library for the prizes!